The First Baptist Church of Cape May celebrated its 301st anniversary this summer. According to the church’s historian, Susan Armour, it is the oldest church in Cape May County.
The cornerstone for the church’s current home at 101 S. Main Street in Cape May Court House was laid on October 11, 1912, about 200 years after the church’s founding. It is the fifth meeting house used by the church over the years. The first, believed to have been built on the Leaming Plantation about four miles from the church’s current location, served the religious needs of the 37 members who signed its first charter.
According to Larry Stiles, who served as superintendent of the church’s Sunday School for several years, The First Baptist Church currently has about 150 members, many of whom grew up in the county and have been life-long members.
A history of the church, “1712-2012 First Baptist Church of Cape May,” was written by Susan Armour of North Wildwood. Copies of the book are available for $19.95 per copy at the church or by calling 609-465-5511.