For those who love their beer, you will be happy to know that Yuengling, a favorite in southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey, ranked No. 1 in the top 50 craft brewing companies in 2014 based on beer sales volume, according to the Brewers Association. Founded in Pottsville, Pa. in 1829, Yuengling was No. 4 in the overall list of U.S. brewing companies in the survey.
Also among those with local ties who made the list are Victory Brewing Co. of Downingtown, Pa.; Troegs Brewing Co. of Hershey, Pa., and Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton, De.
The Brewers Association is a not-for-profit trade group representing small and independent craft brewers. Of the top overall brewing companies that made the 2014 list, 42 were craft brewing companies.
"The companies on this list include the vanguard of the craft industry," said Bart Watson, the Brewers Association's chief economist. "They are exposing new beer lovers to craft, opening new markets and creating opportunities for the entire category. As they continue to grow, so will the availability of innovative and high-quality beers produced for all to enjoy."
Among the top 10 in the craft brewing category were:
- D.G.Yuengling and Son, Inc, Pottsville, Pa.
- Boston Beer Co., Boston, Ma.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Ca.
- New Belgium Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Co.
- Gambrinus, Shiner, Tx.
- Lagunitas Brewing Co., Petaluma, Ca.
- Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Or.
- Bell's Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mi.
- Stone Brewing Co., Escondido, Ca.
- Minhas Craft Brewery, Monroe, Wi.
The top 10 in the overall U.S. brewery category were:
- Anheuser-Busch Inc., St. Louis, Mo.
- Miller Coors, Chicago, Il.
- Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, Ca.
- D.G. Yuengling and Son, Inc.
- Boston Beer Co.
- North American Breweries, Rochester, NY
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- New Belgium Brewing Co.
- Craft Brew Alliance, Portland, Or.